NO CLASS–IT’S LABOR DAY! So, also no homework!
Dr. Kent Guion from UNCW’s Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion will be joining us in class on Wednesday (we’ll meet in our regular room) to tell us about what his office does on campus. Here are some readings to do before class, and don’t forget to bring your one-page response:
- “Where’s the African-American Harry Potter or the Mexican Katniss” from CNN
- “The Apartheid of Children’s Literature” from the New York Times
- “Diversity is Not Enough: Race, Power, Publishing” from BuzzFeed
- “Fighting Erasure” from NYT Magazine
- explore the hashtags #1000blackgirlbooks and #weneeddiversebooks on social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or whenever you like to hang out). Check out “11-Year Old Jersey Girl Launches #1000blackgirlbooks” from Philly Voice for some context.