Homework for 10/17
We’ll be meeting in the library media room to talk to author Bill Konigsberg. Check out Bill’s website here (I’m particularly fond of the text of his Stonewall Book Award Speech or this article about his Trevor Project book tour.) Come ready with questions! A few other readings:
- “Why Queer Poetry Still Matters” from Flavorwire
- Read about the National Book Foundation’s Book Up LGBTQ project here, and its interview with t’ai freedom ford, its first instructor, here.
- “Nine Ways Journalists Can Do Justice to Transgender People’s Stories” from Poynter
Homework for 10/19
Today in class we’ll work more on our class project. Come with a draft of the week’s mission statement, and any further ideas about reaching out to partners. We’ll draft an email together and get started on creating material.
You also have a one-page response due. And here are a few more readings about language and gender. Feel free to respond to these or the above readings for this week’s response:
- Check out the very awesome and thorough GLAAD media reference guide for all sorts of information from appropriate LGBTQ terms to covering the bisexual or transgender community in writing.
- The case for the pronoun “they”: readings from the Atlantic and the New York Times
- “Should Dictionaries Do More to Confront Sexism?” from the New Yorker