Homework for 11/7
- Read “My So-Called Post Feminist Life in Arts and Letters” from the Nation
- Read “The Patronizing Questions We Ask Women Who Write” from NY Magazine
- Read “Should White Men Stop Writing?” from Electric Literature
- We’ll also hear about progress on the class project, and make a plan to keep moving forward. Each group should come with updates!
Homework for 11/9
- Read “On Pandering” by Claire Vaye Watkins
- Read Marlon James’s response on Facebook (and any of the 43 comments you feel like diving into)
- Listen to this NPR story with both writers.
- Lastly, find a book cover you find is offensive in some way. (Remember how Vivian Lee said she wants her books’ designs to focus on the stories, not their “diverse” elements? Find a book you think does a bad job at this, in any way–race-wise, gender-wise, sexuality-wise, disability-wise, etc. I’ll pull them up on the overhead in class.)